Monday, March 5, 2007
reflections on EFL learning tasks and IT
Most of the IT-related tasks designed for EFL teaching and learning in my school (Harbin Institute of Technology or HIT) are quite restricted and closed. For example, in the media classroom, sometimes the instructors use electronic resources devised by the publishers of the textbooks stored in CD-ROM. A typical practice in such a classroom is that the instructors control the presentation of the electronic materials which are basically the conversion of existing print-based materials. Another example of the restricted mode of IT-related learning tasks currently under way is the inclusion of movies in the language classroom. In these classes, learners are shown a movie while the teachers don’t need to do anything else except control the media player. Sometimes students are required to work on some worksheets and sometimes they are not required to do anything at all. The reasons that IT-related tasks are not adequately integrated in the syllabus design are manifold. First, lack of access to PC and computer labs is one of major obstacles. Secondly, lack of training on IT on the part of instructors is another problem. Thirdly, the educational environment at HIT tends to discourage individualized learning and teaching. Teachers are evaluated by centralizing top-down policies while initiatives to creatively use IT in EFL teaching by individual teachers are not adequatly motivated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Seemingly, we are in the same boat (: I sometimes feel very frustrated with the way I was forced to teach. I usually prefer to give my students more freedom to do what they really enjoy doing and to do at their pace. However, if I keep doing that, I might be warned by the teacher supervisor that I won’t be able to finish the required numbers of lessons on which students will be tested in the final. I tried to talk with this supervisor to convince her that our students do not learn simply for the exams, but in vain.
What can I do?
Educators, if not innovative enough, have great difficulty in changing the way of teaching in which they themselves have been taught and have been teaching for a long time. If unable to kill two birds with one stone, most people would sacrifice process for product in their pursuit of high ranking order among departments/institutions or pursuit of certificates in students' case. This deep-rooted problem can only get solved when the overall educational environment improves and all parties get down to consider what education is for.
Post a Comment